Home

Friday, February 13, 2015

“Why the Rangers”

I’m not going to sit here and brag about the 1994 Rangers and how I remember and it’s great they’ve won a Cup in my lifetime and what not. I suppose technically yes but no.
I was 6 years old in 1994 and didn’t really have a clue about hockey let alone the Rangers. It doesn’t count in my opinion. I’m still waiting.
I believe it wasn’t until around the year 2000 or 2001, after Wayne Gretzky retired of course, that I became enthralled with the Blueshirts.
I’m not sure why but something about Eric Lindros, Theo Fleury, Petr Nedved, Bobby Holik, Sandy McCarthy, Dale Purinton tons of other crappy players and finishing 8-12 points out of a playoff spot every year really peaked my interest.
So why the Rangers? I could have chosen any good team to root for. The Yzerman/Shanahan Red Wings, the Patrick Roy Avalanche, hell even the Brodeur led trap-playing Devils. But I didn’t. I suffered and stuck it out with the team in my home city and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
I think becoming a fan when they sucked was a good thing. It really makes me appreciate playoff appearances. Sticking with them through the lockout, a complete rebuild about Jaromir Jagr to finally cracking the playoffs and then the Stanley Cup Final in 2014.
The 15 years and running I’ve spent as a hardcore Rangers fan has been amazing and I’d never change that. No matter what’s going on in my life, Rangers hockey has always been there and will continue to be there for not just the next 15 years but many many more.
I’m excited to finally blog and podcast about the Rangers alongside Dennis. While Going 5-Hole was fun, it was too broad and honestly very forced on our part at times. I know I didn’t have the time nor the knowledge needed to know every little detail about the entire NHL. However Dennis & I know most details about the New York Rangers so that’s why we’ve brought you Rangers 5th Line.
Keep checking back regularly for everything New York Rangers.
Mike Kane

0 comments:

Post a Comment